Prof. Perez Oren
Environmental Regulation, Transnational law and Globalization, Torts, Legal Theory and e-democracy.
- Articles and book chapters
- Oren Perez, 'Reconstructing Science: the Hormone Conflict between the EU and the United States.” European Foreign Affairs Review 3:563-82 (1998), available at: http://www2.cid.harvard.edu/cidtrade/Issues/perez.pdf.
- Oren Perez, ‘Using Private-Public Linkages to Regulate Environmental Conflicts: the Case of International Construction Contracts’, Journal of Law & Society 29 (1):77-110 (2002).
- Oren Perez, “Reflections on an Environmental Struggle: P&O, Dahanu and the Regulation of Multinational Enterprises.” Georgetown International Environmental Law Review 15(1): 1-27 (2002).
- Oren Perez,Global Legal Pluralism and Electronic Democracy. In Electronic Democracy: Mobilisation, Organisation and Participation via New ICTs, edited by R. Gibson, A. Roemmele and S. Ward. London: Routledge/ECPR Studies in European Political Science (2004), pp. 133-152.
- Oren Perez, ‘The Many Faces of the Trade-Environment Conflict: Some Lessons for the Constitutionalization Project’, in Christian Joerges, Inger-Johanne Sand and Gunther Teubner (eds.), ‘Constitutionalism and Transnational Governance’ (Hart Publishing, 2004). Also published in European Integration online Papers (EIoP) Vol. 6 (2002) N° 11; http://eiop.or.at/eiop/texte/2002-011a.htm.
- Oren Perez,Normative Creativity and Global Legal Pluralism: Reflections on the Democratic Critique of Transnational Law. Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies, 10 (2): 25-64 (2003).
- Oren Perez, 'Electronic Democracy as a Multi-dimensional Praxis', North Carolina Journal of Law & Technology, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 275-306, 2003.
- Oren Perez, 'Global Governance and Electronic Democracy: E-Politics as a Multidimensional Experience', in P. Shane ed., 'Democracy Online: the Prospects for Political Renewal through the Internet', (Routledge, 2004), pp. 83-94.
- Oren Perez, ‘ ‘Law in the Air: A Prologue to the World of Legal Paradoxes’, In Paradoxes and Inconsistencies in Law, edited by O. Perez and G. Teubner. Oxford: Hart Publishing (2006) (3-38).
- Oren Perez,The Institutionalization of Inconsistency: from Fluid Concepts to Random Walk. In Paradoxes and Inconsistencies in Law, edited by O. Perez and G. Teubner. Oxford: Hart Publishing (2006) (119-143).
- Oren Perez,Facing the Global Hydra: Ecological Transformation at the Global Financial Frontier: The Ambitious Case of the Global Reporting Initiative, in Christian Joerges/ Ernst-Ulrich Petersmann (eds) CONSTITUTIONALISM, MULTILEVEL TRADE GOVERNANCE AND SOCIAL REGULATION (Oxford: Hart, 2006) 459-487.
- Oren Perez, 'International Trade Law and the Environment', In Environmental Law for Sustainability: A Critical Reader, edited by Benjamin Richardson and Stepan Wood. (Oxford: Hart, 2006) (381-411).
- Oren Perez, 'Multiple Regimes, Issue Linkage and International Cooperation: Exploring the Role of the WTO', University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Economic Law Vol 26, no. 4 (2006) 735 - 778;
- Oren Perez, The New Universe of Green Finance: From Self-Governance to Multi-Polar Governance in Olaf Dilling, Martin Herberg & Gerd Winter Eds., Responsible Business: Self-Governance and Law in Transnational Economic Transactions (HART, Oxford, 2008) 151-180.
- Oren Perez, 'Anomalies at the Precautionary Kingdom: Reflections on the GMO Panel's Decision', 6 World Trade Review (a Cambridge U. Press Journal, 2007) 265-280.
- Oren Perez, "Complexity, Information Overload and Online Deliberation", 5 I/S: A Journal of Law and Policy for the Information Society (2008/9) 43-85.
- Oren Perez, 'Purity Lost: the Paradoxical Face of the New Transnational Legal Body', 33(1) Brooklyn International Law Journal (2007) 1-58.
- Oren Perez, Regulation as the Art of Intuitive Judgment: A Critique of the Economic Approach to Environmental Regulation 4 International Journal of Law in Context (2008) 291-313.
- Oren Perez, 'Law as a Strange Loop' in 'Sociological Jurisprudence – Liber Amicorum Gunther Teubner' eds. Gralf-Peter Calliess, Andreas Fischer-Lescano, Dan Wielsch & Peer Zumbansen (Gruyter, Berlin 2009).
- Oren Perez, How Law Changes the Environmental Mind: An Experimental Study of the Effect of Legal Norms on Moral Perceptions and Civic Enforcement, 36 Journal of Law & Society (May 2009) 501-535. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1411567 (with Feldman, Yuval).
- Oren Perez, The Dynamic of Corporate Self-Regulation: ISO 14001, Environmental Commitment and Organizational Citizenship Behavior(May 1, 2009). 43 Law & Society Review (2009) 593-630. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1407227 (with Hamburger, Yair and Shterental, Tammy).
- Oren Perez, Precautionary Governance and the Limits of Scientific Knowledge: a Democratic Framework for Regulating Nano-Technology. 28 UCLA Journal of Enviornmental Law & Policy 29 (2010).
- Oren Perez, "Private Environmental Governance as Ensemble Regulation: A Critical Exploration of Sustainability Indexes and the New Ensemble Politics," Theoretical Inquiries in Law: Vol. 12 : No. 2, Article 7 (2011).
- Oren Perez, Democracy, Transnational Organizations, and the Challenge of New Techno-Intermediation, Connecting Democracy: Online Consultation and the Flow of Political Communication (S. Coleman and P. M. Shane eds, 2011).
- Oren Perez, Between soft law and greenwash: the compliance dynamic of civil forms of environmental regulation, In David Levi-Faur, ed. Handbook on the Politics of Regulation (Edward Elgar, 2011).
- Oren Perez, Responsive Regulation and Second-Order Reflexivity: On the Limits of Regulatory Intervention, 44 University of British Columbia Law Review (2011) 743
- Oren Perez & Feldman, Yuval, Motivating Environmental Action in a Pluralistic Regulatory Environment: An Experimental Study of Framing, Crowding Out, and Institutional Effects in the Context of Recycling Policies (May 2, 2011). Law & Society Review Volume 46, Issue 2, pages 405–442, June 2012" .
- Perez, Oren, Legal Pluralism (October 10, 2011). THE OXFORD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN POLITICAL AND LEGAL HISTORY, Donald T. Critchlow and Philip R. VanderMeer, eds., 2012. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1929395.
- Perez, Oren. 2013. Open Government, Technological Innovation and the Politics of Democratic Disillusionment: (E-)Democracy from Socrates to Obama. I/S: A Journal of Law and Policy for the Information Society Forthcoming, http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/students/groups/is/volume-91/ .
- Perez, Oren, Science, Politics and Transnational Regulation: Regulatory Scientific Institutions and the Dilemmas of Hybrid Authority (with Adi Ayal & Ronen Hareuveny) 2 Transnational Environmental Law, TEL (2013) 45-68.
- Perez Oren & Daphne Barak-Erez Whose Administrative Law is it Anyway? How Global Norms Reshape the Administrative State 46 CORNELL INT’L L.J. 455 (2013).
- Oren Perez, Courage, Regulatory Responsibility, and the Challenge of Higher-Order Reflexivity, Regulation and Governance Volume 8, Issue 2, pages 203–221, June 2014
- Perez, Oren, The Hybrid Legal-Scientific Dynamic of Transnational Scientific Institutions (May 15, 2014). Forthcoming, European Journal of International Law, 2014. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2437400;
- Oren Perez & Daphne Barak-Erez, The Administrative State Goes Global (with), forthcoming in "Negotiating State and Non-State Law: The Challenge of Global and Local Legal Pluralism" edited by Michael Helfand (Cambridge University Press, 2015).
- Oren Perez, Can Experts Be Trusted and What Can Be Done About it? Insights from the Biases and Heuristics Literature (September 15, 2014). Forthcoming in 'Nudging and the Law: A European Perspective'; Alberto Alemanno and Anne-Lise Sibony Eds. (HART, 2015).. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2490407;
- Oren Perez, Fuzzy Law: A Theory of Quasi-Legal Systems, 28 Canadian Journal of Law & Jurisprudence, July 2015, pp 343 – 370.
- Oren Perez, Judicial Strategies for Reviewing Conflicting Expert Evidence: Biases, Heuristics and Higher-order Evidence, forthcoming (2015) American Journal of Comparative Law, http://ssrn.com/abstract=2623074 .
- Oren Perez, "The Green Economy Paradox: A Critical Inquiry into Sustainability Indexes" , forthcoming Minnesota Journal of Law, Science and Technology (MJLST)(2015-2016).
- 'Ecological Sensitivity and Global Legal Pluralism: Rethinking the Trade and Environment Conflict', Hart Publishing (June 2004).
- 'Paradoxes and Inconsistencies in Law' (Hart Publishing, 2006) (ed. together with Gunther Teubner).
- Books review
- PENELOPE CANAN AND NANCY REICHMAN, Ozone Connections: Expert Networks in Global Environmental Governance (Sheffield: Greenleaf Publishing, 2002), 12(1) Social & Legal Studies (2003), pp. 147-149.
- Pollution in a Promised Land: An Environmental History of Israel. By Alon Tal. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2002. 23(1) Israel Studies Forum: an Interdisciplinary Journal (forthcoming, May 2008).
- Bob Hancke (2009) Intelligent Research Design: A Guide for Beginning Researchers in the Social Sciences. Oxford: Oxford University Press, in Political Studies Review (2010)
"The Green Economy Paradox: A Critical Inquiry into Sustainability Indexes", McGill Faculty of Law, 22 April 2015.
'The Hybrid Legal-Scientific Dynamic of Transnational Scientific Institutions ' GEM Seminar, Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies, 22 April 2014 & 9 April 2015 Climate Futures Initiative (CFI) seminars series, Princeton Environmental Institute (PEI).
- Can Experts be Trusted and what can be done about it? Insights from the Biases and Heuristics Literature, 14 October 2014, CARR (the Centre for Analysis of Risk and Regulation), Seminar London School of Economics.
‘Judicial Strategies for Reviewing Conflicting Expert Evidence: Biases, Heuristics and Higher-order Evidence’, 10 September 2014, Faculty Colloquium, University of Georgia Law School.
'The Hybrid Legal-Scientific Dynamic of Transnational Scientific Institutions ' International Society of Public Law (ICON·S), 2014 Inaugural Conference, Florence, June 26-28, 2014.
'The Hybrid Legal-Scientific Dynamic of Transnational Scientific Institutions ' Barcelona Workshop on Global Governance, January 9-10, 2014, ESADE Business School's Center for Global Economy and Geopolitics and IBEI (Institut Barcelona d'Estudis Internacionals).
Can Experts be Trusted and what can be done about it? Insights from the Biases and Heuristics Literature, 'Nudging in Europe: What can EU Law learn from Behavioural Sciences? University of Liege Law December 13, 2013.
From Science to Policy: Critical Reflections on the Use of the Precautionary Principle in Environmental and Public Health Decision-Making (with Nadav Davidovitch), in Regulating Disasters through Private and Public Law: Compensation and Policy, Haifa University, 16-17 June 2013.
Higher-order Evidence and Judicial Review of Expert Testimony: an Empirical Exploration, Annual Meeting, Society of Envuironmental Law and Economics, Bar Ilan 22-23 May 2013 and First Private Law Consortium, Bar-Ilan University, Faculty of Law 26-27 June 2013.
The Complex Dynamic of the New Transnational Hybrids: the Case of Regulatory Scientific Institutions, To be presented at the International Legal Theory Interest Group Symposium: The Rise of Non-State Law, 2 May 2013, Washington DC.
Globalized Administrative Law: How Universal Norms Reshape the Administrative State, Bar-Ilan – Osgoode Joint Symposium on Critical Reflections on Legal Pluralism in the State and Beyond, July 1-2, 2012.
Science, Politics and Transnational Regulation: Regulatory Scientific Institutions and the Dilemmas of Hybrid Authority, Global Environmental Risk Governance under Conditions of Scientific Uncertainty: Legal, Political and Social Transformations, which was held at Bar Ilan University, Israel, in May 2012.
Courage, Regulatory Responsibility, and the Challenge of Higher-Order Reflexivity, THE FOURTH ANNUAL MEETING OF THE SOCIETY FOR ENVIRONMENTAL LAW & ECONOMICS DOELENZAAL, IU MAURER SCHOOL OF LAW, BLOOMINGTON, JUNE 1-2, 2012.
Open Government, Technological Innovation and the Politics of Democratic Disillusionment: E-Democracy from Socrates to Obama, Faculty Seminar, Georgia Law School, 30 May 2012.
Motivating Environmental Action in a Pluralistic Regulatory Environment: An Experimental Study of Framing, Crowding Out, and Institutional Effects in the Context of Recycling Policies, THE THIRD ANNUAL MEETING OF THE SOCIETY FOR ENVIRONMENTAL LAW & ECONOMICS DOELENZAAL, UNIVERSITY OF AMSTERDAM, 24 JUNE, 2011.
Fuzzy Law , HiiL/NIAS Workshop: Multi Valued Law and Multivalent Logic, Amsterdam, 17-18 June 2011;
Private Environmental Governance as Ensemble Regulation: A Critical Exploration of Sustainability Indexes and the New Ensemble Politics, May 23-24 2011 Florence Workshop on Transnational Business Governance Interactions;
Private Environmental Governance as Ensemble Regulation: A Critical Exploration of Sustainability Indexes and the New Ensemble Politics, Mapping the hard law/soft law terrain: Labor & environmental protection in corporate codes and public-private initiatives, 2-4 June 2010, Tel-Aviv University.
'Fuzzy Law', University of Montreal, Center for International Studies and Research (CERIUM), 14 September 2010.
Responsive Regulation and the Limits of Regulatory Intervention, UBC workshop on Responsive Regulation in Theory and Practice, September 30-October 1, 2010
UCLA Working Conference on Nanotechnology Policy, 17 April 2009 - Nano-politics and Precautionary Science: Nano-Technology as an Experiment in Precautionary Regulation
"Complexity, Information Overload and Online Deliberation", Workshop on Online Consultation and Public Policy Making, Moritz College of Law - The Ohio State University Law School, March 14, 2008
The Special Status of the IDF under Israeli Environmental Law: Critique and Policy Recommendations, Annual Conference, Israel Society of Ecology and Environmental Quality Sciences, 12-13 June 2007.
'Comparative assessment of EU and Israeli regulatory regimes in the environmental domain: implications for the harmonization project', International Conference on Approximation of Laws by Non-EU Countries with the EU acquis, 27-28 May, 2007, Hebrew University Law School, the Leonard Davis Institute for International Relations, and the Israeli Association for the Study of European Integration.
“Purity Lost: The Paradoxical Face of the New Transnational Legal Body”, Putting Theory to Practice, An International Speakers Series at Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, Toronto, Canada, Thursday, October 5, 2006; also given at Temple University Beasley School of Law, September 21, 2006, and at the conference SOVEREIGNTY, SUPREMACY, SUBSIDIARITY: THE SHIFTING ALLOCATION OF AUTHORITY IN INTERNATIONAL LAW AN INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE IN HONOUR OF PROF. RUTH LAPIDOTH, The Hebrew University, Faculty of Law, June 18-20, 2006.
The New Universe of Green Finance: From Self-Governance to Multi-Polar Governance, University of Victoria Law School, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 28 September 2006.
Protecting the Rights of Genetically Modified Entities: Reflections on the GMOs’ Problematic, the WTO Forum and the Precautionary Principle, Round-Table on the Panel's Decision, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Faculty of Law, June 21, 2006.
Lecture at the annual conference of the Israeli Association of Planners, 2/2/2006.
'e-Government: Dilemmas and Opportunities' in Sapir Conference: 'The Future of Society in a World of Open Information: Internet and Another Kind of Politics', May 19, 2005.
Lecture on 'Environmental Treaties of UNECE', for a course of the Israeli Ministry of Environment on Environmental Treaties, 23 June 2005.
Perez, Oren, Ecological Transformation at the Global Financial Frontier: the (Ambitious) Case of the Global Reporting Initiative. Paper presented at the EUI/RSCAS Workshop at Florence: Legal Patterns of Transnational Social Regulation and International Trade, September 24-25, 2004.
Perez, Oren, The Spiral Explosion in Transnational Voluntary Environmental Standards: Mapping and Reflection. A Paper Prepared for the Fifth Pan-European Conference, Hague, 9-11 September 2004.
Exploring Private Governance Mechanisms. The case of ISO 14000 and the Global Reporting Initiative, presented in the conference 'Self-Governance and the Law in Multinational Corporations and Transnational Business Networks' 9 - 11 June 2005, ONATI INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR THE SOCIOLOGY OF LAW, Spain.
LLB, Magna Cum Laude Tel Aviv University, Faculty of Law, April 1993.
BA Philosophy, University of London (First Class Honours), 2015.
LLM (specialization: legal theory & history), The London School of Economics and Political Science (with merit), 1995
PhD, The London School Of Economics and Political Science, 2001 (thesis - 'Ecological Sensitivity and Global Legal Pluralism: Rethinking the Trade and Environment Debate'); Supervisors: Prof. Gunther Teubner (currently at Frankfurt University), and Prof. Damian Chalmers.
Scholarships, Grants and International Cooperation
- 1994: a Foreign and Commonwealth Office Scholarship (Chevening Scholarship) to study for the LL.M degree at LSE.
- 1998: Marie Curie Fellowship from the European Union to pursue Ph.D. research at LSE.
- 2002: Research grant from the Chief Scientist of the Israeli Ministry of the Environment to study the effects of international voluntary standards on the Israeli economy.
- 2006-7: Government of Canada’s Faculty Research Award for 2006.
- 2006-2008: The Israeli Science Foundation (with Yuval Feldman) (The Instrument Choice Dilemma in the Environmental Field: An Experimental Approach to the Effect of Regulation on the Formation of Social Norms)
- 2006-7: Grant from the International Institute for the Sociology of Law, Onati, Spain, to carry an international conference on the legal work of Niklas Luhmann (Law after Luhmann: Critical Reflections on Niklas Luhmann’s Contribution to Legal Doctrine and Theory) (with Peer Zumbansen)
- 2006-9 Member, International Working Group on Online Consultation and Public Policy Making, grant from Center for Technology in Government at SUNY Albany, led by Prof. Stephen Coleman of Leeds University and Prof. Peter M. Shane, Moritz College of Law, Ohio State University.
- 2008-2009: The Israel Science Foundation (With Yuval Feldman) (an international research workshop grant - The Regulatory State at the 21st Century: Fundamental Questions in the Design of Regulatory Policy - Lessons from the Environmental Field).
- 2008-9 – Grant to participate in the 2009 Working Conference on Nanotech Regulatory Policy, UCLA.
- 2010-2013 - Environmental Health Fund Grant: Formation of Environmental Health Policy in a Contested Science Environment;
- Member of the Management Committee, COST Action IS0802, Transformation of Global Environmental Governance.
- Grant from the Fund of the Association of Israeli Insurance Firms to study to evidentiary procedures related to medical experts in Israeli tort law.
- Grant for the Ministry of Science – 2012-2015: Citizen involvement and Empowerment in e-democracy using the Internet and Social Networks
- Grant from the Ministry of Environment – 2012-2014: Regulatory Mechanisms for Environmental Damages Under Conditions of Judgment Proofness .
- The Israeli Science Foundation (with Reuven Cohen) 2014-2016 ‘Private Transnational Governance as Ensemble Regulation: a Social Network Analysis‘
1995-7: Associate, S. Horowitz & Co, Israel.
1997-2000: Ph.D. student at LSE.
2000-present, faculty member Bar-Ilan Faculty of Law; 2000-2004 lecturer, 2004-2008 Assistant Professor, 2008-2013 Associate Professor, 2013-present Full Professor.
2002 – 2005 Guest Lecturer, Tel Aviv University, Faculty of Law.
2006 (fall) – Visiting Professor, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, Toronto.
2014 (fall) – Visiting Professor, University of Georgia Law School, Athens, Georgia.
2015 (April) - O'Brien Fellow in Residence, McGill Center for Human Rights & Legal Pluralism.
Conferences I organized:
2002: Paradoxes and Self-Reference in Law (with Gunther Teubner);
2004: The WTO at A Cross-Road (with Arie Reich);
2005: Law & Economics in Israeli Law (sponsored by BIU Law Review);
2007: Law after Luhmann: Critical Reflections on Niklas Luhmann’s Contribution to Legal Doctrine and Theory (with Peer Zumbansen);
2009: The Regulatory State at the 21st Century: Fundamental Questions in the Design of Regulatory Policy (with Yuval Feldman);
2012 (May) Global Environmental Risk Governance under Conditions of Scientific Uncertainty: Legal, Political and Social Transformations, held at Bar Ilan University, Israel (under the framework of European COST Acton IS0802 on the Transformation of Global Environmental Governance, with Reut Snir);
2012 (june) Academic Director, ATLAS annual AGOGRA (2 weeks PhD students workshop), Bar Ilan, June;
2012 (July) Bar-Ilan – Osgoode Joint Symposium on Critical Reflections on Legal Pluralism in the State and Beyond, (with Poonam Puri);
2013 Annual Meeting, Society of Envuironmental Law and Economics, Bar Ilan 22-23 May 2013 (with Jacob Nusim);
2013 (December) Democratization of Risks Governance (with Orr Karassin & Issi Rosen-Zvi);
2015 (Nov-December): Environmental Regulation –Experimenting Across Scales (with Orr Karassin & Issi Rosen-Zvi);
Workshop on empirical legal studies (with Yuval Feldman)
Research Seminar (for MA/PhD students)
Paradoxes and Absurd in Law (seminar)
Globalization & the Law (seminar)
Regulation, Politics and Environment (seminar)